Questions to Ask Your ACP Service Provider


The FCC’s goal of bringing high-speed Internet access to rural and underserved areas is a noble one. The widespread deployment of 5G small cell networks can help achieve this goal, but there are still significant hurdles to overcome.

The ACP (Affordable Connectivity Program) is a FCC program whereby the organization plans to bring high-speed internet access to these areas, including schools and low-income families.

Who can participate in the ACP?

The CPA is limited to Internet service providers that have received federal universal service funds or state broadband subsidies for providing Internet access in rural areas. This list includes the following items.

  • All ISPs that receive federal universal service funding (including all USF broadband support mechanisms) or state subsidies.
  • USAC will contact these eligible providers to assist them in submitting ACP service requests in the appropriate areas.
  • Public and private schools, libraries, medical clinics, community colleges, public housing authorities (PHA), Indian tribes or tribal organizations (ITTO), or US military bases in eligible areas
  • USAC will contact these eligible providers to assist them in submitting ACP service requests in the appropriate areas.
  • Eligible households in locations where no provider offers fixed broadband with download speeds of at least 10 Mbps.

USAC will contact these eligible households to help them submit requests for ACP service in eligible areas.

What is an ACP Service Provider?

An ACP service provider is a company that provides high-speed Internet access to customers in underserved and rural areas of the United States.

When you sign up for an ACP plan, your new service provider will work with existing providers to bring affordable high-speed Internet access to your home.

What are the benefits of an ACP?

Currently, high-speed broadband access is available to 92% of all Americans. The FCC’s goal with this FCC program is to help extend this availability to the remaining 8%.

The authority achieves this goal by bringing new Internet service providers to previously unserved areas. Users can expect faster speeds and more reliable connections.

How to register for the ACP?

If you meet the ACP eligibility requirements, you can register with an ACP service provider at a discounted rate. The FCC will work with existing service providers to provide service or negotiate a service contract.

What are the CPA eligibility requirements?

Affordable Connectivity Program may be a great option for you. But to be eligible for the ACP program, you must meet at least one of the following criteria.

  • Your CPA household income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines.
  • Your household does not currently have access to high-speed broadband Internet service.
  • You are a student enrolled in an educational institution at any level (elementary, secondary or post-secondary).
  • You are a participant or recipient of assistance programs such as Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance, Supplemental Security Income, and Federal Public Housing Assistance.

What should you expect from your ACP service provider?

Your new ACP service provider will offer you a discounted monthly rate based on the level of performance desired for your Internet connection.

You can also expect to receive personal attention from your supplier and personal customer service. In addition, the FCC will carefully assess your service area.

How do you compare vendor ACP plans?

ACP service providers can offer a variety of different speeds and data caps. Before signing up for an affordable plan, be sure to carefully review your provider’s connection speeds and pricing information.

This step will help ensure that you get a fair deal on a service that meets your specific needs.

Are there any rules to follow?

You must actively maintain the service. If you do not pay your ACP Provider or do not use it for more than thirty consecutive days, you will be deemed to have abandoned the connection and may lose your eligibility.

How much will it cost?

Like traditional internet service providers, your rates vary depending on how fast you want your connection to be. The FCC had set price caps for ACP service providers, ranging from $10 for the lowest speed to $25 per month for the highest speed.

You can then sign up with your preferred service provider for an affordable rate depending on the level of performance you want. From there, the service will include careful attention from suppliers and personalized customer service.

Final Thoughts

If you do not pay your ACP service provider or do not use it for more than thirty consecutive days, you will be deemed to have abandoned the connection and may lose your eligibility.

Previous Expansion of the reference station to boost projects
Next For Apple Car, a Chargepoint purchase makes more sense than Peloton