Cyberbullying allegation: court admits 19-year-old suspect on N5m bail



By Olusegun Samuel

The Federal High Court sitting in Yenagoa granted a bond of 5million naira to the 19-year-old Miss Challotte Delhi for her alleged involvement in sharing the nude video of a former permanent secretary of the State Ministry Education, Dr Walton Liverpool on social media with the intention of extorting the sum of N15million.

The DSS, in lawsuit number FHC / YNG / 33C / 2021, has filed a one count charge against the defendant, alleging that she is engaging in cyberstalking with the intent to blackmail, which is contrary to the Article 24 (2) c and punishable under subparagraph (b) of the Cybercrime (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act 2015.

At yesterday’s hearing, the two bail applications and the start of the tril were taken with the two attorneys, DSS Senior Legal Officer Victor Uchendu Esq and a former Bayelsa State Attorney General and lawyer for the defense, AS Arthur Esq, accepting the bail of the accused.

The presiding judge, Judge Isa Dashen, after hearing the two lawyers’ positions on the bond, granted a bond of N15 million and a bond with land ownership in state jurisdiction.

Immediately after the bail decision, the president of the court ordered the trial of the accused to be opened with the appeal of the former permanent secretary of the Department of Education, Dr Walton Liverpool, as first witness.

In his revelation, Liverpool, whose nude photo was reportedly posted on social media by the accused, said he met the accused through his Facebook friend request on August 23, 2021 and had a one-to-one meeting at a popular hotel known as the Golden. Door in the state capital.

He noted that the nude video allegedly broadcast by the accused caused him psychological and physical pain. He said he almost committed suicide and passed out after his immediate and extended family saw him on the internet.

According to Liverpool, “On September 8, 2021, after being greeted at a reception after the day I got my PhD from Imo State University, Owerri. After the ceremony, I retired to my room to sleep. Around noon, I received a Whatapp message on my phone announcing a package for me

. ” I asked who the sender of the message was and asked for the nature of the package. I was told they made a video of me. When I asked for the identity of the sender, they told me not to worry and that I had to cooperate with them and that the matter would be settled. “

He told the court that he had been asked to pay the sum of N15 million, otherwise the nude video would be posted on social media. I replied that as a retired public servant, I don’t have that much money. I found the video to be dehumanizing and embarrassing.

“I pleaded that I would pay the sum of 1 million naira and pleaded that I had to sell a property to raise one million naira. They sent me another message that I had to pay the sum of N5 million. They threatened not to accept anything less, ”he said.

He also pointed out that after studying the nude video, he found out that the video was taken in a room at the Golden Gate Hotel and that 19-year-old Miss Challotte Delhi was with him. video boasted of passing out if I refused to pay and get the video from a media space.

“After six days, on September 14, 2021, I was alerted that my nude video had been posted on Facebook. They tagged members of the National Assembly, current and former state commissioners, local government presidents and the governor’s former chief of staff, Rt. Hon. Thalfor Ogolo. “

Both counsel, DSS Senior Legal Officer Victor Uchendu Esq and a former Bayelsa State Attorney General and Defendant’s Counsel AS Arthur Esq, however, argued during the presentation of evidence on admission of the list. Whatapp conversations between the former permanent secretary of the State Department of Education, Dr Walton Liverpool and the accused.

The president of the court, however, adjourned the case until November 9, 2021 to rule on the issue of the exhibit to be admitted by the court.


Previous McAfee Selects Weber Shandwick As Leading Global Consumer Communications Agency
Next Lyft reports over 4,000 sexual assaults in three years

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.